Live chats filling up!

Teachers have now booked 64 live chats. The week commencing 18th June is fully booked and there’s only space for 3 more live chats in week commencing 11th June. So teachers, book soon to make sure your students get to talk to the In the Zone scientists!

In today’s live chat students from Mosslands School put scientist Adam Bibbey to the test, asking: why do your lungs get tired when you run, at what pressure do bones break and why is eating fish is good for your brain.

What's more important in sport, mental attitude or physical ability? See student question. Image by Björn Láczay

Outside of live chats students in the 11-19 Zone have now asked over 492 questions.

This week student spongey has asked some great questions, including: “Who invented school?“, “Why are babies born with blue eyes?” and “Why do we have hair on our head?

Question of the week came from the student spacenut: “What do you think is most important in sport, mental attitude or physical ability?

Scientists are enjoying answering student questions. Scientist Kate said:

“I have enjoyed the range to be honest with you it has been very enjoyable and definately jogged the memory!!!”

Next week students in the 11-19 Zone will be talking to scientists:

• David Muggeridge, Researcher, Kingston University: “The effects of Dietary Nitrate supplementation (beetroot juice) on parameters of performance in athletes at sea level and at altitude”
  • Mustafa Sarkar, PhD, Loughborough University: “My work focuses on the psychology of sporting excellence to provide an insight into how high achievers in sport thrive on pressure and attain peak performances.
  • Tess Newman, PhD, University of Bath: “Looking at ways to create new living body tissue, such as bone, outside of the body, so that it can be implanted into people who need it.”
  • Yue Zheng, PhD, University of Cambridge: “I research novel causes of inflammation aspect of atherosclerosis.

Teacher Liz Nicholson at St Marys Catholic School said:

Great initiative – wish you could see how excited our lot are about the live chat”

Posted on May 11, 2012 by in News. Leave a comment