400 student questions and more…

It’s already the end of the second week In the Zone and things are hotting up!

Teachers have now booked 53 live chats in the 11-19 Zone and week commencing 18th June is now fully booked! So teachers, make sure your students get to talk to the In the Zone scientists and BOOK now!

In the Zone is all about minds and bodies in motion and this week students have been asking some very on topic questions.

How do we sweat? See student question below. Image by Bibikoff.

"How do we sweat?" See student question. Image by Bibikoff.

Student spursboy wanted to know “how would an athlete get in the zone?”

Meanwhile student cheese2000 asked “how can you get flexible?”,

And scientist Mark tries to avoid a lawsuit answering student preshous333’s question: “does lucozade sport actually work or is that just trying to make you buy it?!”

So far students in the 11-19 Zone have asked over 400 questions. Students can ask scientists questions throughout the event and student spacenut asked last week’s In the Zone scientists: “how do we sweat”

Thank you to students: cheese2000, ells8, kamilo12 and spacenut for asking loads of great questions!

Next week scientists in the 11-19 Zone are:

• Adam Bibbey, PhD, University of Birmingham: “I look at how the body responds to stress, e.g. school tests or a sports game- changes in how fast the heart beats and the amount of blood gushing around the body.
  • Jemma Ransom, PhD, University of Aberdeen: “Exercise is great for your body… but my research looks at what it does to your brain cells and if it guards against brain disease.
  • Kate Davies, PhD, Cardiff Metropolitan University: “With a changing climate my work will be investigating how new artificial turf could have an effect on athletes performance and injury potential.”
  • Maria Konstantaki, Lecturer, Buckinghamshire New University: “Pasta or cake? What’s the best food to eat before, during and after exercise and why?
  • Wayne Martin Askin, Lecturer, East Surrey College: “I am a sports lecturer and Exercise Referral consultant specialising in thermoregulation and Exercise rehabilitation

Posted on May 4, 2012 by in News. Leave a comment