I’m a Scientist, Get me out of Here! is an online event where students get to meet and interact with real scientists. It’s an X Factor-style competition between the scientists, where students are the judges.
Students submit questions which the scientists will try to answer by the next day. Students then have live online MSN-style chats with the scientists, where they ask questions, learn more about the scientists, and let scientists know their opinions. It takes place online over a two week period. The students then vote to decide which scientist gets £500 to spend on science communication.
You can only talk on the site if you are one of the students, teachers or scientists who are taking part. And you can only vote if you are one of the students, but anyone can look around and read what is being said. Go on, have a look. From the main log in page, just pick a zone and browse around!
During the event young people use web technology they feel comfortable with, to ‘meet’ scientists. They ask questions and have live chats with scientists, and then vote for their favourite. The winning scientist will receive £500, to be used to communicate their work.
I’m a Scientist brings people together, gives young people a voice and teaches them about science and scientists in a fun, memorable and engaging way.
I’m a Scientist, Get me out of Here! is produced by Gallomanor, specialists in helping organisations engage their communities.
- ‘Meet’ the scientists
- ASK them questions
- Let scientists know their opinions
- Find out what real scientists are like and what they do all day
- Engage in live discussion about real-life science
- CHAT live with scientists and ask them questions
- Choose which scientist they think should get £500 by VOTING for the scientist they want to win
- Enter a contest to win £20 in WHSmith vouchers
- Find links to science information, and study help, on the web
- Engage with young people
- Contribute to science education
- Hear what students and teachers have to say about science
- Hear about the work other scientists are doing
- Get awarded £500 to spend on science communication if they impress the students enough!
- Show their classes how science works in the real world
- Download and use lesson plans and resources
- Get support for teaching the How Science Works part of the curriculum
- Make science lessons fun!
We hope everyone will find I’m a Scientist, Get me out of Here! useful, engaging, and enjoyable. Explore the site, check out the scientists’ profiles, the live chats and all the questions that have been asked before, and… have fun!