• Question: What does the work of a climatologist involve?

Asked by spacenut to Faye, Martin, Mus, Pete on 1 May 2012.
    • Photo: Pete Etchells

Pete Etchells answered on 1 May 2012:

I don’t actually know any climatologists – maybe we should try and get some involved in the next “I’m a Scientist” competition! I suspect that their work will involve lots of fieldwork to measure various types of weather conditions in different parts of the world. It might also involve creating models of weather systems using sophisticated computers and programs, or it might even involve something like going to the south pole to extract ice cores to see what the climate might have been like hundreds of years ago!

• Photo: Faye Didymus

Faye Didymus answered on 15 May 2012:

Climatology is the study of climate and is scientifically defined as “weather conditions averaged over a period of time.” It is a branch of the atmospheric sciences. Basic knowledge of climate can be used within shorter term weather forecasting, which is really helpful for the general public 🙂 Climate models are used for a variety of purposes from study of the dynamics of the weather and climate system to projections of future climate. So a Climatologist would do the above and lots more complicated things I would imagine!